Community: Paulatuk, NT Population: 311 Doctors: 0 Nurses: 2 RCMP Members: 2 Schools: 1 Students: 55
Number of flights into town: 3/week which supply mail, food and people

Sunday 6 November 2011

BACK (hopefully)

So I'm back on line. 

A friend loaned us a computer to use until we can get ours fixed.  We are going to bring it to Calgary with us while we are there to get it running again.  We figure it'll take about the same amount of time to send it out, get it fixed and send it back up.  So that's our plan.  I'm a tad technically challenged but when I heard a jingle coming from inside the computer and realized the there was no prong to plug the battery into anymore....I knew we had a problem.

Anyhow - I am thankful for friends who are willing to loan out a computers. 

R didn't think it was going to such a big deal because we could just use his Ipod.  I know you would get a BIG chuckle out of the story, but R would be much too embarrassed for me to tell it.  Why we now have a new Ipod on order and why the the broken one ended up in the oven.  Let me just say that even if you bake a wet Ipod - it will NOT work.

So it has been much too long.  I have a few great Northern stories and some wonderful pictures but unfortunately I can't add them.  I'll do it once I have our computer back.

So first funny story.

Playschool has quickly become part of our schedule and I'm not sure who is enjoying it more.  N or me.  He is loving seeing the other kids, even if it is just to say "hi" as he scoots past on route to whatever has caught his attention.  He loves dumping the tubs of various building supplies.  He likes to build torches out of some plastic building supplies and carry them as high as he can.  Some of the older kids were doing it one day but had used up all the supplies, but you can be sure it was the first thing he spotted the next time we went.  He built it and marched around just like a little Olympian.  He likes to color, on the paper and especially on the table.  But I am fairly certain his favorite time is "snack" time.   Snack time is actually a full lunch.  We are talking, goose soup, cheese, homemade bread, chicken nuggets, caribou stew.... He like the whole process, washing hands, eating, drinking from a big boy cup (which I'm glad to report has only produced one soaked shirt that was promptly put in the dryer and he was dressed like a carpenter for the rest of the day), and brushing his teeth.  I'm sure the teachers think I don't give him lunch at home.  I do, but on Tuesday and Thursday he gets two lunches.  On every occasion except for one, he has eaten two lunches.  He recently passed on Char chowder, but I happily ate it for him while he chowed down on homemade rolls.

Playschool has turned into a social event for both of us.  At first I was the true version of a helicopter mom.  I totally hovered.  After the first day of him being poked in the eye, he wasn't getting too far out of my sight.  I've relaxed a bit.  I'm more comfortable there and so is he.  Some days I try to sit back and just let him interact with the kids and teachers on his own while I sit at the kids table and color.  I forgot how fun coloring could be.  I'm also a bit embarrassed to say that my first pictures needed some improvement.  It takes a bit of practice to get back into the swing of things.

One day N was doing great so I ventured into the kitchen and started doing the dishes.  The phone started ringing and since I was the closest I answered it.  I felt all professional again.  So in my professional voice I answered "Good Afternoon, Paulatuk Preschool", I was a little startled when the man on the other end said, "Ya, does the preschool have any rabbit fur?"

Good question - being new own the job I handed that call off to one of the real professionals and continued washing my dishes.

Halloween was a big deal here.

The night before the gym was set up as a big haunted house.  We didn't make it but I heard it was pretty impressive.  Halloween day the school held a community event where all the kids and adults could dress up and come to the gym for a big assembly.  All the kids and teachers were dressed up as well as all the younger kids who had not yet started school.  The costumes were impressive.  There were butterfly's, bumblebees, lions, mummies, a soldier, drum dancers, ragedy Ann, shrek, gypsies and our little one eyed monster.

To be honest N was not a fan of his costume.  That is until we got to the school and he saw all the other kids dressed up.  Then he thought it was great fun.  It was a perfect day for trick or treating - it was cold but not impossibly cold - once bundled up it was good.  We went trick or treating where we quickly learnt that knocking is not part of the tradition.  You just walk right in.  I continued knocking partly because I think that was N's favorite part and partly because unlike the rest of the trick or treaters, I didn't know who was behind the door and I'm not sure if they would know me.  We went to about 30 houses and got mostly the regular goods.  Some of the different things we got were a chocolate cupcake, a rice crispy square, popcorn and a tangerine.  I know normally I would have automatically thrown these out.  But since I knew exactly where each item came from.....I chowed down.

On our way to school for the big party! 
We actually just carved our pumpkin this morning.  A bit late, but we did it.  R was out of town for a few days before Halloween and somebody gave him a pumpkin, for FREE.  There were no pumpkins in town and since one of N's favorite books is Duck & Goose Find A Pumpkin - R couldn't pass it up.  Not even when Aklak Air charged him $30.00 to fly the pumpkin back with him.  So much for the free pumpkin.  N was pretty excited to see a real pumpkin and immediately ran to get him book to compare the picture to the real thing. 


Here's another funny story - I'm not sure why I'm actually to write this here.  I suppose so I can look back on it in a few years and laugh a little more.

N is now into robbing drawers and cupboards.  Yesterday he was in the drawer that has a mis mash of things.  Potatoe masher, pizza cutter, turkey baster, measuring spoons.  I'm sure you all have that drawer, and thats the one he was in.  He was playing with the turkey baster for a little bit, he was having fun with it.  When he was smaller and had baths in the sink we use to squirt water on him with it.  Good fun.  So yesterday as he was playing with it, he made another grab and came out with the pizza cutter.  Uh No.  So I told him to put it back, which he did surprisingly quickly but then stomped over to me and hit me on the leg with the turkey baster.  Yup - I got hit with the turkey baster.  It still makes me laugh.  I had a tough time making it through his 2 minute time out with out busting into laughter.  I did make it, but he didn't help matters by mimiking my postion by siting there with his arms crossed just like I had mine.  My word that kid is cute.

Winter is definitely upon us.  The bay is frozen.  There are skidoo's, quads and dogs out there at any given time.  It is beautiful.  Obviously I enjoy the open ocean more because that means it's warmer out, but really, the frozen snow covered ocean isn't a bad sight either.  It hasn't been extremely cold.  One day it was -29 with the wind.  I was wishing I wore snow pants that day for our walk, but I haven't made that mistake again.  Other than that one day it has been very bearable.  There is no question it's winter, but from I'm hearing this is nothing compared to what January and February are going to dish out.




Anyhow - that's all for now.  I'll try to figure out how to add some pictures and hopefully get them up.  Wish me luck...

No comments:

Post a Comment